Septic System Maintenance
Properly maintaining your septic systems is critically important to protecting water quality in the Place for Life. Many rural properties have septic systems, which are individual on-site sewage treatment facilities.
Did you know that maintaining your septic system can be done for just a few hundred dollars every 3 – 5 years? Septic care and water conservation will help to extend the life of your septic system. Improperly maintained septic systems are a risk to your health and the environment because they can contaminate local water sources. Maintain your septic system regularly to save you thousands of dollars in the future.
Be Septic Savvy!
- Know where your septic system is located
- Pump out your tank every 3 – 5 years
- Conserve water to reduce what’s going into your system
- Divert surface water, like downspouts, away from your leaching bed
- Keep accurate records of septic system maintenance and service calls
- Plant trees or shrubs, dig or drive over your septic tank or leaching bed
- Flush hazardous chemicals, paint, cigarette butts, coffee grounds or sanitary products
- Use a garbage disposal
- Connect water softeners to your system, as the salt can destroy important bacteria
- Use special additives that claim to enhance the performance of your system