Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), applies to all municipalities, local agencies, boards and commissions including school boards, public utilities, transit and police commissions, fire departments and conservation authorities. MFIPPA determines what information is made available to the public and how it is made available.
The two main purposes of MFIPPA are:
- to provide the right of access to information held by institutions, subject to limited and specific exemptions
- to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to their personal information held by government institution
The Essex Region Conservation Authority is committed to preserving your privacy when you visit our website. Our policy is to collect no personal information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to make such information available to us.
When you visit our site, the web server automatically records the following information:
- The Internet domain and IP address from which you access our site;
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site;
- The date and time you access our site; and
- The pages you visit.
We use this information to help us make our site more useful to visitors, and to learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. This information is not shared with other organizations.
If you choose to share personal information with us by filling out an electronic form with personal information, subscribing to a newsletter, or sending us a message, the information will only be used for the purposes you authorized. Some of this information may be saved for a designated period of time in order to comply with the Ontario Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and ERCA’s document retention policies. The Essex Region Conservation Authority will not disclose personal information to third parties or other government agencies, unless required to do so by law.
Freedom of Information
To request access to general records or personal information (information about yourself), or request a correction to personal information, complete the Freedom of Information Request Form or send a written letter identifying the requested information. An individual who makes a request for access to a record must pay a $5 application fee. In addition, the requester must pay the fees for:
- manually searching for a record;
- preparing the record for disclosure;
- computer and other costs incurred in locating, retrieving, processing and copying a record;
- shipping costs; and
- other costs incurred in responding to a request, as set by regulation.
Essex Region Conservation Authority
360 Fairview Ave. West
Essex, Ontario N8M 1Y6