Devonshire Mall Shuttle to Solcz Family Foundation Forest Tree Planting
Please note this event has been postponed to Saturday November 13 2021. Following this weekend’s rainfall, the site of the Solcz Family Foundation Forest is extremely wet and muddy and as such, we need to postpone the planting event for two weeks.
Join us by shuttle to plant trees at the Solcz Family Foundation Forest!
Thanks to the generous support of the Solcz Family Foundation, we invite you to Connect Kids with Nature by planting trees at the Solcz Family Foundation Forest.
Free Transportaion Details
- 12 Noon – Bus leaves from Devonshire Mall (North parking lot beside the old Sears/current Vaccine Clinic)
- Please plan to arrive 10 minutes early!
- Tree Planting takes place in Leamington, Ontario from 1pm – 3pm
- Bus returns to Devonshire Mall approximately 3:45pm.
Click here to register for the shuttle service: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/devonshire-mall-shuttle-to-solcz-family-foundation-forest-tree-planting-tickets-196032106307
Throughout this weekend, students, families, organizations and the public will come together to plant native trees and shrubs at a 32 acre restoration site. This stewardship will increase tree cover, habitat for wildlife and improve the water quality of Lake Erie. It’s also a great way to take climate action! Attendees will plant alongside knowledgeable ERCA staff as well as skilled and trained members of the How To Crew.
Thank you for making an impact in improving our local environment!
Covid 19 Safety Measures
Covid-19 safety measures will be in effect. All volunteers must pre-register and complete a self-assessment and provide proof at the start of their shift. This will be communicated after registration in advance of the planting shift. On planting day, volunteers must wear a mask, practice social distancing and handwashing/sanitizing hygiene.
FAQs and Planting Day Considerations
What can I bring to the event?
- All volunteers will be required to wear a face mask to their planting shift.
- Please bring a reusable water bottle with you to the planting event.
- It may be helpful to bring a towel, an extra pair of socks to change into after planting and some clean shoes for the car ride home.
- All planting equipment will be provided, but if you have a favourite pair of gardening gloves and a shovel, feel free to bring them.
- Volunteer paperwork
What can I wear to the event?
- The planting shift will take place rain or shine.
- Dress for the weather. November can bring a wide range of wet to dry weather conditions.
- We recommend dressing in layers, bring extra socks, a towel, rain pants and jacket, hat etc.
- Wear sturdy footwear such as hiking or rubber boots that is comfortable. This location will be extremely muddy with rough terrain. We do not recommend wearing running shoes.
When will I be notified if the planting shift is cancelled?
You will be notified the morning of the shift if the planting event is cancelled through the e-mail addressed provided upon registration.
How do I plant a large potted tree properly?
There are many steps you can take to ensure the long term growth and survival of newly planted large potted trees. Please take a moment to review the tree planting video below provided by the Arbor Day Foundation. ERCA staff will provide a demonstration of how to plant a tree properly at the event for all volunteers .